Posted in Model/Display Homes

Casa Maria Luisa

Casa maria luisa Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Dec_15__1929_(1)

A Spanish Type Home for Smith Reserve” (now the Piedmont Pines section of Montclair in Oakland)  – Oakland Tribune December 15, 1929.

“The Casa Maria Luisa”  the first of the “Daughter of Peralta” homes will be open an exhibition residence with imported furnishings in Smith Reserve shortly after January 1, 1930.  Fully decorated by H.C. Capwell company and sold by the Realty Syndicate.

Casa Maria Luisa when completely furnished will represent an investment of $50,000.

“Master craftsmen have been employed in building and furnishing this usual home” Oakland Tribune January 19, 1930

The beams and ceilings were ceilings were stenciled by one of the noted Cathedral Artists, lighting fixtures from rare old-world patterns, overhanging balconies reminiscent of early Spanish-California with heavy doors.  Oriental rugs of Spanish design were made to order.  The house had numerous 1930’s state of the art features, including a Walker Electric Sink and a two-ventilator in the kitchen.

Casa Maria Luisa occupies three wooded lots with a panoramic view. Surrounding the home with rare shrubs, plants and Monterey and Cypress Trees.

 

casa maria luisa Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jan_12__1930_(1)
Casa Maria Luisa opens – Jan 12, 1930

Casa Maria Luisa opened to rave reviews claiming to be “the most beautiful and popular home ever shown in Oakland”.  In 1931, The Oakland Tribune Yearbook named it one of the most beautiful homes of that year.

In 1987 the home was bought by a couple from the original owner Cordelia Wanderforde, who had lived there some 50 years.  They put a lot of money into repairing and updating the house.

  • 6514 Ascott Drive
  • Built 1929-30
  • Smith Reserve (Piedmont Pines
  • Realty Syndicate
  • Hamilton Murdock – Architect
  • Opened 1930 for a $18,500
  • Last sold 1997 for $698,000

 

6514 Ascot Drive Casa Maria Luisa
Casa Maria Luisa Today – from Google maps

 

 

 

Posted in Model/Display Homes

Honeymoon Haven

Honeymoon Haven – 13049 Broadway Terrace – opened Jun 1935

A five-room residence planned to harmonize perfectly with it’s charming among pines”.  Oakland Tribune June 16, 1935

The home sits on 1/4 acre lots among the pines.

“1000 People attended the opening of Honeymoon Haven” – Oakland Tribune June 23, 1935

  • Merriewood Tract
  • Spanish -Colonial
  • George Windsor- builder
  • Jackson’s Furnishers of Homes
  • Phil Heraty – Real Estate Agent
  • Price – $4740
  • Sold $783,000 – 2015

Realtor info on home

Honeymoon Haven in 1935 and Honeymoon Haven in 2017

From the Oakland Tribune 1935

 

 

 

 

Posted in Model/Display Homes, Montclair Tracts

Exposition Home – Montclair Highlands

Exposition Home – Located at 5988 Rincon Ave Oakland CA

Expostion hometo open Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Apr_10__1938_(1)
Oakland Tribune April 10, 1938
Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Apr_17__1938_
Oakland Tribune April 17, 1938

Built-in 1938 in preparation for the upcoming Exposition Fair at Treasure Island in 1939.  The home is located in Montclair Highlands, the scenic tract of Emge and Stockman with sweeping views of the Golden Gate and Treasure Island can be seen from several windows.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Apr_17__1938_
Oakland Tribune Jul 1938

In July of 1938 Exposition House went on sale.  It was sold “completely furnished” and “specially priced” at  $18,450 (limited time only). The price also includes the large corner lot with “panoramic view” and landscaped with shrubs and trees.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jul_31__1938_ (1)
Oakland Tribune July 1938

Opened April 1938

  • Frederick L Confer – Architect
  • J.R Armstrong  – Contractor
  • Ned S. Rucker Landscape Architect
  • Furnished by H.C. Capwell Company
  • Emge and Stockman
  • Montclair Highlands
  • Still standing

Location of Exposition Home

5988 Rincon Dr.

Posted in Early Montclair, History

Medau Family

ou4fqec0pr537ay9
Alameda County: The Eden of the Pacific 1898

 In 1857  J.H. Medau purchase approx. 500 acres for in what was then Piedmont or hills in the back of Piedmont.  He bought the property as a ranch.  The very best of the land was land was sold for $30.00 an acre and some of the ranch “the poorer land” was located in East Piedmont was sold for $10.00 an acre.

 The ranch was located in the area that is now the Montclair Business District and Montclair Park.

Medau Family
Medau Family – Montclair Park – Oakland History Room – no date

For over 20 years he was a school trustee to Fruitvale and Hays Districts. Some of his children attended the Hays School.

He retired to a new home he had built at East 12th, where he lived for the rest of his life.

Medau Oakland Directory 1895
J H Medau – Oakland Directory 1898

Medau Oakland Directory 1917
J.H. Medau – 235 E 12th – 1917

 

His Family

John Heinrich “Henry” Medau (1831-1918) was born in Holstein, Germany and emigrated to the United States in 1851 and became a naturalized citizen in 1857.   He was a tobacconist by trade, and it is said he worked in that position in San Francisco before moving to the Oakland.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Apr_23__1916_
Mr. and Mrs. Medau -date unknown

In June 1860, he married Regina Robenger (1860-1916), who was also born in Germany.  They had the following children, all born at the ranch.

  • Edward
  • Theodore
  • Pauline
  • Adelphine
  • Matilda
  • Henry
  • Louisa

Medau
Oakland Tribune April 21, 1916