College Pines is located at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Harbord Drive location(formally Edith), just past the Claremont Country Club. The name of College Pines was chosen because of the close proximately to College of the Sisters of Holy Names, new High School. The sales office was located at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Ostrander Road, as seen above.
Oakland Tribune 1932
The homesites front on along Harbord Drive for about a half mile or more. The lots were priced at $27.00 per foot. A forty foot lot would cost $1075.00, with a low down payment and easy terms. Sold by the Claremont Pines Corporation and later Michell & Austin.
Oakland Tribune June 1932
Holy Names Centra High School was built on Harbord Drive and opened in 1934.
In December of 1933, the first display home opened at 4339 Harbord Drive. The home had eight rooms with two baths and a 14 x 32-foot rumpus room and “pleasing features galore”. The home was priced at $6850 and was recently sold in 2016 for $1,360,000.
In September of 1934, another display home was opened at 4347 Harbord Drive. The green and white wood and brick cottage and two bedrooms and a den or nursery and a large playroom. The house was priced at $6500, with just $75 down payment and $75 a month. The house recently sold for $825,000 in 2012.
Misc. ads for homes
The stone pillar is still there at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Ostrander Street