In March of 1886, the Board of Supervisors created a new school district. That took from portions of the Piedmont, Peralta, and Fruitvale districts and representing about 44 children. The new district was called the Hays district, in honor of the late Colonel John Coffee Hays. The superintendent appointed the following residents of the area as trustees:
Requests for bids to build the school were made in July of 1886.
The completed school was small at only 32×36 feet, with just one classroom. It was Gothic in design with a graceful looking bell tower. It had two entrances, one for the boys and the other for the girls each entrance having a 6×6 vestibule. The sash bars of the windows are all horizontal, after the style of the school buildings in Europe. The building cost about $2,500 and took about two months to build.
The dedication of the school was held in October 1886. It was attended most of the families that lived in the area. Opening remarks were made by Judge EM Gibson and WH Mead. Some of the families in attendance:
Entertainment provided by the students from the school under the direction of their teacher Miss Lucy Law. The following students performed:
The school was closed in around 1913 and the building was demolished. It was probably due to building the Oakland, Antioch and Eastern Railway later known as the Sacramento Northern. For more on the Sacramento Northern please go here. The East Bay Hills Project