A little history of the Montclarion newspaper in Oakland Ca.
Before The Montclarion newspaper rolled off the presses in 1944, there were two earlier editions of the paper. The Montclair Garden Club published a newsletter called the Montclair Clarion in the early 1930s.
The editor was Margery Lane Schuler who lived on Merriewood Drive. Schuler was also the advertising manager, copy reader, publisher, and art director.
In her first editorial, Schuler wrote that the Montclair Clarion expected to “ have a great many people become more aware of the beauty of the district”
In January of 1935 a small 20 pages booklet of poetry, stories and community activities, advertisements and a recipe for Pumpkin Chiffon Pie appeared in mailboxes in the Merriewood neighborhood of the Montclair District.
It was sponsored by the Merriewood – Pinehaven Improvement Club and was distributed for free.
On the cover of the April 1935 edition it boasted a circulation of 1000 and by the September 1935, the little book was less than 10 pages.
Please go here to see the complete issue – Montclair_Clarion
By November 1937 the publisher and editor was Beatrice “Bea” Pause the wife of Montclair Realty owner Paul Pause. The name was changed to Montclarion.
The first issues were printed on mimeograph machines. It was printed from about 1937 – 1942. In 1942 due to WWII and the rationing of paper, it ceased publication.
To see more of this issue – Montclarion
In 1944 Fred Graeser and his wife Micky purchased the name for $100 and the first issue of “The Montclarion“, as we know it, came out in October 1944. Fred ran the paper exclusively for 5 years when Micky took over. Fred returned after a few years. They sold the paper in 1977.
A special thanks to Chris Tredway for the copies of the early issues