A few of the illustrations from the 1885 Oakland and Surrounding compared to modern-day or an earlier date.
The Nichol Block was built in 1878 and is now a part of “Old Oakland.” It is located at the northeast corner of 9th Street and Washington.
- Built 1877
- 8th and Franklin
- B. Wright Proprietor
- J.C. Matthews & Sons Architects
- 1972 Destroyed by fire
- Built circa 1885 to circa 1923
- 10th Street between Union and Poplar
- Named for Rector E. Cole
- Jack London attended the school
Pacific Press Publishing House
Under the direction of James White, the leader of the Seventh Day Adventists, the Pacific Press building was erected in 1875 as a publishing and printing firm. It was destroyed by fire in 1977, arson was suspected. The building was in the way of the Grove -Shafter Freeway (980).