William Pinkney Toler (1829-1899) and his wife Maria Antonia (1836-1926) owned 330 (349) acres of land in the foothills of Elmhurst. Maria was the daughter of Hermenegildo “Ignacio” Peralta. William and Maria were married in 1853.
Toler Ranch Sold
After her husband’s death, Mrs. Toler sold the ranch to the Realty Syndicate for $110,000-$120,000. The land was then subdivided and placed on the market.
Map of Toler Heights – 1907
Opening Day 1907
Toler Heights went on sale in 1907. A group of Investors owned the property, and the Southwest Securities Company was handling the sales for them.
Change of Ownership
In 1910 the Henderson & Tapscotts Company purchased Toler Heights. The made a lot of improvements to the tract. Opening day in was held on May 22, 1910
The photo above might be showing the Silva Ranch on Foothill Blvd
Opening day was one of the most auspicious days in the residential property sold. Oakland Tribune May 24, 1910
The Piedmont of East Oakland
Another change in ownership
In 1922, the property was for sale via an auction. “Sales way down.” Oakland Tribune May 28, 1922
New School – May 1928 – Now Barack Obama Academy
More Information on Toler Heights
- Ready to Rush to Toler Heights – Oakland Tribune Oct 05, 1907
- Birdseye View of Toler Height Advertisement – SF Examiner Oct 13, 1907
- 90th Avenue to be Boulevard – Oakland Tribune Jul 12, 1914
- The Men Who will Try an Auction – Oakland Tribune Jun 03, 1922
- Absolute Auction – Oakland Tribune June 04, 1922
More to come – Toler Heights Homes