Oakland in the Days When Oaks Were Here and the Peralta’s Owned all the Land
Oakland Tribune Feb 1891
The house was located at N. E. corner east Eighth Street and Fourth Avenue, East Oakland. The address was the first 202 East Ninth Street. East Ninth Street was later renamed East Eight Street, and the house was renumbered from 202 to 404. The last address was 404 East Eight Street.
In Search of Gold
The lure of the gold drew Moses Chase and his son George to California in 1849. They sailed from Boston on aboard the Capitol on a 176-day voyage. He hoped to make his fortune panning for gold, then return home to marry Mary Ellen Clinton. They had no luck at finding gold, and soon, they found themselves back on the coast.
Chase then became the first white man to settle in Oakland, and he first camped at the foot of what is now Broadway, in 1849.
It was on this land he built a small cabin of 14 feet wide and 24 feet, from ship timbers, driftwood, and rough boards. He intended to bring his new bride back to California from Boston and live in the cabin. But she died before he arrived back home to marry her. The Township of Clinton was named in her honor.
In 1856 the front part was added. This would become the main section of the house. Over the years, other alternations and additions expanded the cabin into a two-story building of 17 rooms during its 86-year occupancy by Chase, his son, and his grandson. The original section, after standing intact until 1936 when it was cut in half and became the laundry room.
As you see in the photograph, the house is in first-class condition today, October 5, 1928. The photo was taken by Jesse B. Cook and Joseph A. Murray.
See: While Oakland was Finding its Place on the Map of the World – Oakland Tribune May 01, 1932
First Settler Laid to Rest
The Oldest Inhabitant has Gone to Rest
Chase spent the later years of his life a near recluse on Bay Farm Island, but he died in the family home on February 17, 1891, at the age of 84. He was laid to rest at the Mountain View Cemetery.
A Wedding Takes Place
In May of 1925, Albert B. Chase was married in the same room he was born 45 years before. Albert was the son of George Chase (1841-1919), the only child of Moses Chase.
At the time of his wedding, Albert was the only surviving member of the Chase family. His older brother had died in 1924 and his sister in 1925.
Oakland 80th Birthday
In honor of Oakland’s 80th Birthday in May of 1932, the Clinton Improvement Association erected a sign on the home, noting its historical significance. Oakland Tribune Apr 07, 1932
Razing the Old Home
In 1946 workman from the Symon Brothers Wrecking Company started demolishing the “old Chase home,” a small rear portion of which was the original cabin to which Chase built-in 1849.
Through three generations, the old home continued at the family residence, until in 1936, Albert died. Albert’s widow sold the house to Guido Pacini, a trucking contractor. Pacini graded the adjacent lot for his trucking business. The old home was completely renovated and was used as a residence, most recently the home of Picini’s daughter and her husband.
Cook Brothers Equipment Distributors began a 10 year lease of old homestead after it was cleared. Oakland Tribune July 02, 1946
More on Moses Chase
- Oakland Local Wiki – Moses Chase
- Through the Golden Gate – Moses Chase –Oakland Tribune May 24,1943
- Oakland’s 100th Birthday – Tied to Chase – Oakland Tribune Nov 13, 1949