On Saturday, October 15, 1960, a brush fire started in the area of Mountain Blvd and Burckhalter Avenue.
The fire bore a striking resemblance to the disastrous 1923 Berkeley fire, which swept from the hills, destroyed 600 buildings, and leaving 4000 homeless.
The fire started at 11am and was under control by 2:30 pm and officially out by 4pm.
More than 200 firemen from the Oakland and San Leandro fought the fire for over four hours with the help of the residents who lived in the area. At times the fire came within feet of homes and rained sparks on their roofs. The damage was held to the loss of two houses, brush and oak trees.
From noon until 2pm the battle was a see-saw affair
Oakland Tribune October 16, 1960
For the residents, it was a battle to the death. They stood of roofs and garages pointing hoses with little pressure behind them at the walls of flame, which roared through the brush and oak trees.
In the hills above, Leona Street flames roared 50 feet into the air and came within that distance of homes. At one point, police advised people to advise the residents on Leona Street, Mountain Blvd, and Mountain View Avenue to evacuate.
The cause of the fire was unknown. It ranged over an estimated 1200 acres after it starts near Mountain Blvd and Burckhalter Avenue. It’s course along Mountain Blvd northwesterly to Bermuda Avenue and up the hill towards Skyline Blvd.
There were unconfirmed reports of two boys playing with matches in the quarry area just before the fire started.
At the time, the winds gusted 45 mile-per-hour, which spread the fire across Mountain Blvd. but quick work by firemen and homeowners stopped the fire from spreading in that direction.
More than 100 homes were endangered during the day. Most were in the $30,000 bracket.
- 6384 Mountain Blvd – destroyed
- 6434 Mountain Blvd – destroyed
The home at 6434 Mountain Blvd belonged to William Crecque, and 6384 Mountain Blvd belonged to Charles Suggs.
- Gale Whipped Flames – Oakland Tribune October 16, 1960
- Hundreds Battle Huge Fire – Oakland Tribune October 16, 1960
- Brush Fire Races Over Oakland Hills – Oakland Tribune October 16, 1960
- 2 Mile Fire Races over Oakland Hills – SF Examiner October 16, 1960
- Homes Razed – SF Examiner October 16, 1960
- Fire Ravages Oakland Hills – San Bernardino County October 16, 1960
- History of Fires in the Oakland Hills – Oakland Net