Updated August 04, 2020
In 1858 Miss Julia Aldrich was contracted to run a small private school on Isaac (Issac) Yoakum’s farm. Yoakum had built his house on the site of the present Lockwood School, he later moved that house and replaced it with a small building to be used as a school (see above).
The school was located at the intersection East 14th Street (County Road No. 1525 and now International Blvd) Mary Street, then 68th Avenue, and later 69th Avenue. The schoolhouse remained in use for another 42 years, with a small addition in 1892.
The first year Lockwood had 12 students enrolled.
In February of 1876, there were 28 boys, and 10 girls enrolled in the school. The teacher was Alonzo Crawford.
In August of 1876 (typo in the newspaper), there were 20 boys and 21 girls enrolled.
- The Damon Family owned a general store at the corner of E.14th & 66th
- The Kinsell Family lived on 94th Avenue just below E. 14th
- The A.H. Merritt family lived on 66th Avenue
- The Moss home was at 82nd and Foothill
- The Silva’s owned a saloon at 84th and E. 14th
New School – 1902
The new school was built on the corner of East 14th Street and 68th Avenue in 1902. Charles H Greenman was the principal. The school was demolished (need to verify this) in 1936.
Greenman died while fighting a fire in the school playground in 1919. In the 1950s, they named the athletic field after Greenman.
Across from the school was the 282-acre dairy belonging to William Manchido. The big pasture was later used as the landing field of Weldon Cooke, an early Oakland aviator. In 1910 Wickham Havens subdivided into what we now know as Havenscourt.
Old School is Sold – 1903
Class of 1904
Lockwood Junior High – 1912
Old Timers Reunions
For many years the former students of the school would hold an annual reunion for all graduates of the school.
The Lockwood Quill
Lockwood School Band
The first traffic reserve unit was formed at Lockwood in February 1928.
More Info on Lockwood
Also known as Havenscourt Junior High
Now the Coliseum College Prep Academy – OUSD
The present Lockwood School building was built in 1953-54
- New Lockwood, Jr. High – Oakland Tribune Apr 06, 1913
- Schools Close; Mourn Teacher – Oakland Tribune Sep 17, 1919
- Five Survivors of 1898 Hold Reunion – Oakland Tribune Feb 16, 1932
- Lockwood Old Timers Sponsor Field – Oakland Tribune Feb 16, 1950
- Old Timers Reunion to be Held – Oakland Tribune Feb 01, 1951
- Groundbreaking for New Lockwood School – Oakland Tribune Apr 30, 1953
In 2007 Futures Elementary School opened as a small school on historic Lockwood campus, which has been home to students for more than 100 years.
- Futures Elementary School – OUSD