A bit of history of 2062 Mountain Blvd. According to the OHA, the building was constructed in 1946 for Klee’s and designed by Frederick Dyer-Bennet. An addition was made in 1951, designed by John Carl Warnecke. The building was divided and the facade changed c.1990.
I could only could find one photo of the Equinox.
Johnnie Lee Jackson was the chef in 1948-1949. Johnny Radell was chef in 1949
In 1951, the restaurant was purchased by A. J. Flagg and John S. Flagg, who already owned Pland’s Restaurant. A. J. spent considerable time and money remodeling the restaurant before opening it in March 1952. Joe Kiklas was manager, and famed maitre d’hotel, Jerome DeFelice was host.
In 1953, the restaurant was sold to Sanford Cohn. Sanford’s closed in 1972.
The Equinox opened in 1972 and closed in 1990.
- Sanford’s Restaurant – Oakland Local Wiki
- A. J. Flagg and John S. Flagg – Oakland Local Wiki
- Bar License Appeal – Oakland Tribune Feb 17, 1951
- Fire at Sanford’s – Oakland Tribune Jan 19, 1955
- Changes at Sanford’s – Oakland Tribune Jan 25, 1966
- Roaring Fire in Montclair – Oakland Tribune Aug 08, 1970