The Fremont Tract opened in 1911. The tract is located at the intersection of MacArthur and High Street with frontage on MacArthur, High, Masterson, Quigley and Porter Streets. The Realty Syndicate handled the sales.
“The tract is near Mills College and commands a beautiful view of the hills.”
Every lot in the Fremont Tract was a full 35-front -foot lot. The prices ranged from $10 to $18 a front foot – the terms from $35 to $85 for the first payment. The balance paid at $5 or $10 per month.
“Natural beauty and delightful surroundings, combined with even temperature, make this a delightful spot to build a home and enjoy living every day in the year. Every lot is high and well-drained.“
The eastern side of Quigley Street is now the High Street freeway exit, and Redding Street is part of the freeway.
This photo was most likely taken from the hill behind the present-day Walgreens on High and Redding Streets.
- 3315 Vale Street
- 3333 Vale Street
- St. Lawrence O’Toole
- Location of Walgreens today
- Freeway exit ramp
- Macarthur Blvd and High Street
- Masterson Street
- Laurel School
Kanning Street is now Masterson Street, and Franklin Avenue is now 39th Avenue, and Hopkins Street is now MacArthur Blvd.
- 3651 39th Avenue
- 4026 Masterson
- Laurel School
- 3625 Patterson Avenue
- 3840 MacArthur Blvd
St. Lawrence O’Toole
St. Lawrence O’Toole Catholic Church at the corner of Porter and High Street opened in 1911, in time for Christmas Eve Mass. The church was dedicated on August 25, 1912.
In March of 1956, the Diocese of Oakland broke ground for a new church just three blocks up High Street. They held the first mass on Thanksgiving Day in 1957.
Oakland’s Laurel District
History is All Around Us
- Opening New Foothill Tract – Oakland Tribune Mar 11, 1911
- New Houses in Fremont Tract – Oakland Tribune Mar 31, 1912
- A 35-foot lot Fremont Tract – Oakland Tribune Apr 02, 1912