Mills Gardens is bounded by 55th and Seminary Avenues, Mills College, and the Nelson Estate.
Mills Gardens, the centrally-located subdivision, was placed on sale on May 03, 1924. The Fred T. Wood Co. were the owners and developers.
The land that Mills Gardens was once a part of Mills College and was known as the “old meadow.”
“Fine Home Tract Adjoins Mills College Campus; Many Improvements”Oakland Tribune May 11, 1924
“In Mills Gardens, we have the finest home subdivision in East Oakland.”Fred T. Wood – May 11, 1924
A Big Demand for Mills Gardens Lots
The opening sales in Mills Gardens established a record for 1924, with transactions totaling $139,500.
“Beautiful Level Lots that are 40 feet and 120 feet deep for $900 to $1250 each.”
“The lowest prices ever asked for high-class, fully-improved homesites.”
New Homes in Mills Gardens
- Adjoins Mills College – Oakland Tribune Feb 03, 1924
- Mills Gardens to be Placed on Market – Oakland Tribune Apr 27, 1924
- Mills Gardens Sale Is Highly Successful – Oakland Tribune May 18, 1924
- Big Demand for Mills Gardens –SF Examiner May 31, 1924
- Many Homes Constructed – Oakland Tribune Aug 03, 1924