In March of 1886, the Board of Supervisors created a new school district. That took from portions of the Piedmont, Peralta, and Fruitvale districts and representing about 44 children.
The new district was called the Hays School District, in honor of the late Colonel John Coffee Hays.
The superintendent appointed the following residents of the area as trustees:
- W.H. Mead
- J.H. Medau
- Mrs. Susan Hays
New School House Built
Requests for bids to build the school were made in July of 1886.
The completed school was small at only 32×36 feet, with just one classroom. It was Gothic in design with a graceful looking bell tower. It had two entrances, one for the boys and the other for the girls, with each entry having a 6×6 vestibule. The sash bars of the windows are all horizontal, copying the style of schools in Europe.
The construction cost about $2,500 and took about two months to build.
The architects were Goodrich & Newton.
The dedication of the school was held in October 1886. It was attended most of the families that lived in the area. Opening remarks were made by Judge EM Gibson and W.H Mead. Some of the families in attendance:
- The S.R. Andrews Family
- The E.M.Gibson Family
- The J. Hampel Family
- The W.H. Mead Family
- The J.H. Meadu Family
- The S.F. Morrell Family
Entertainment provided by the students from the school under the direction of their teacher Miss Lucy Law. The following students performed:
- Clara Gibson
- Gussie Gibson
- Carrie Mead
- Daisy Mead
- Susie Mead
- Mattie Mead
- Edith Medau
- Louise Medau
Hays School was the scene of brightness and beauty on Friday June 14, 1901. Friends and family gathered to witness the closing exercises. The four graduates were:
- Jessie Logan
- Robert Shepherd
- August Carson
- Scott Monroe
In 1904 appointed Mr. S. Morrell and Mr. Johnson to fill the vacancies caused by the removal of George Hunt and G.W. Logan.
Attendance for the year ending 1911 for the Hays School was 11 students.
The school was closed around 1913, and the building was demolished. It was probably due to the Oakland, Antioch, and Eastern Railway construction, later known as the Sacramento Northern. For more on the Sacramento Northern, please go here. The East Bay Hills Project
In 1927, the Montclair firehouse was built on the same site. The storybook style building was designed by Eldred E. Edwards of the Oakland Public Works Department.