Posted in Allendale, Buildings, East Oakland, Laurel District, Schools, Then and Now

Then & Now – Oakland Schools Part 8

This is eighth in a series of posts on Oakland Schools. I hope to show Then and Now pictures of most of the schools, along with a bit of history of each school I show. Some of the pictures are in the form of drawings, postcards or from the pages in history books.

Not all schools will be included in this series. Sometimes I might just post a picture of the school.

Fruit vale Public School” Fruitvale No. 1

The Fruit vale (as it was sometime spelled) School district was formed in 1889 with the intention to build a new schoolhouse.

Fruit Vale Public School
Fruitvale School, early 1880s situated on ‘the field
 Standing in front of the school are the female teachers and the children 
OMCA Collection
San Francisco Examiner Jun 04, 1989
Oakland Tribune Jan 07, 1889
Oakland Tribune July 26, 1889

From what I can tell is the school was in the same general location of where Fruitvale Elementary school is today, at the corner of Boston Street and School Street.

New Life as Church

In 1896 after the Fruitvale No. 1 was built the old school was moved and remodeled for use as a church. It was dedicated as the Higgins Methodist Episcopal Church in Mar of 1896.

SF Call Mar 09, 1896
SF Examiner Mar 1896

Fruitvale No. 1 – Fruitvale School Elementary

SF Call – Aug 27 1895

In 1894 Fruitvale School district the trustees were force to meet the demand and take the steps to build a larger school. The new school replaced the old Fruitvale School building from the 1880s.

The present quarters a ramshackle shanty, will be moved and a new building will be erected in its place.

SF Examiner Mar 29, 1895

The pastures of the Empire Dairy surrounded the school from 1880-1901

Oakland Tribune 1970

Back in 1885 the site at Boston and School Streets overlooked the city of Oakland and the bay of San Francisco.

Fruitvale School circa 1901

The style of the new building was Italian Renaissance. The architects were Cunningham Bros. of Oakland.

The plans called for a $13,000 2-story building with a concrete basement. Each floor was to have four large classrooms and lunch rooms for the teachers. The principal’s office was on the first floor and space was reserved for a library. In the basement there were separate playrooms for the boys and girls, janitor rooms and a heating apparatus.

In 1913 Fruitvale School No. 1 was changed to just Fruitvale School.

New School Built

Oakland Tribune Nov 1949

The new Fruitvale School was dedicated on December 1, 1950. The new school has 14 classroom, a library , a cafeteria, a kindergarten and an auditorium. The school was designed by Ponsford and Price Architects and cost $497,700. The school has room for 569 students.

The dedication was attended by William Taylor a long time resident of the Fruitvale District, He attended the “old Fruitvale School “in 1880s . Oakland Tribune June 1962

  • Fruitvale School website – OUSD

More on Fruitvale Elementary

Fruitvale School No. 2 Hawthorne School

Oakland Tribune July 1903

In 1905 an addition to the school added 9 more rooms.

In 1913 Fruitvale School No. 2 name was changed to Hawthorne School. The school was on Fruitvale at East 17th (Tallant Street)

In 1923 a concrete culvert was build and Sausal Creek was filled in.

School Destroyed by Fire in 1923

New School Built

The district purchased the property fronting on East 17th Street adjoining the playground. The new school was built away from the noise and traffic of Fruitvale Ave.

Oakland Tribune Sept 1924

In September of 1924 they laid the cornerstone of the new school building. The school was designed by John J Donovan.

The new school is located at 28th Avenue at East 17th Street across the street from where the old Fruitvale School No 2 was located. The old school building was destroyed by fire the year before.

Oakland Tribune Sept 1924

The following items were put into the sealed cornerstone:

  • Minutes of Board of Education May 1924
  • Minutes of Board of Education June 1924
  • Outline of the school plans
  • Program from Cornerstone ceremony
  • History of the PTA
  • Names of all the pupils enrolled
  • Group photos of all the classes.
  • School Directory

The new school opened in January of 1925.

Oakland Tribune Jan 1925

The school is located at 1700 28th Ave, Oakland, CA 94601

Hawthorne Now

Today Hawthorne is the home of the Achieve Academy.

Achieve Academy (TK-5) serves students in the Fruitvale neighborhood and is one of the highest performing elementary campuses in Oakland.

Google Maps –
Google Maps –
Google Map – today

Fruitvale No. 3 – Allendale School

Fruitvale School No. 3 was built in the Allendale neighborhood in 1904.

Prior to 1904 children living along High Street had to make the long walk to the Fruitvale School No. 1 on School Street at Boston. Allendale was chosen because of its central location to the children from Laurel Grove District (Laurel DIstrict) to High Street and down to Foothill Blvd then known as Old County Road.

The 1904 school building cost $107,437 to build . The first years enrollment was 809. A four-room addition in 1910 and another four-rooms costing $49,458 were added in 1928.

Oakland Tribune July 1910

Miss Alice V. Baxley was the first principal of Allendale School from 1904-1913.

Fruitvale No 3 –
Renamed Allendale 1913

In 1913 Fruitvale No. 5 was renamed Allendale School.

Oakland Tribune Mar 19113
Oakland Tribune Mar 1914

Dangerous and a Hazard –

The school was deemed unsafe and closed in 1953. At the time is was one of the oldest school building there were 2 others from the pre-1906 era still standing. The old school building withstood the 1906 earthquake.

San Francisco Examiner Dec 1953
SF Examiner Dec 20, 1953

17 portables were placed on the site to house the students until the fall of 1959.

Oakland Tribune 1957

The day of reckoning has come for the old Allendale School building which has been razed”

Oakland Tribune Jul 14, 1957
Oakland Tribune 1957
Oakland Tribune 1957

New School Built –

Plans for a new school were drawn up by architects George E. Ellinger and Roland Gibbs to cost $363,250.

Oakland Tribune June 18, 1958

Bids for a new school with 13 classrooms, library, multipurpose room, one kindergarten and administration offices opened in 1958.

The school was completed in the fall of 1959.

Moving Day June 1959
Oakland Tribune Nov 8, 1959

Allendale Today

  • Allendale School Website – OUSD

Fruitvale – Allendale Junior High

A new Fruitvale School to be built in the Rhoda Tract at Hopkins Blvd ( MacArthur Blvd). The school to cost $100,000.”

Oakland Tribune 1909

The new school was called the Allendale – Fruitvale Junior High and was constructed at the Hopkins (MacArthur Blvd) and Coolidge Avenue.

Oakland Tribune 1928
Oakland Tribune Nov 09 1928

The name of the Allendale – Fruitvale Junior High was changed to Bret Harte Junior High at a school board meeting in 1929, the other name under consideration was DImond Junior High.

The school was named after  Bret Harte, who was an American author and poet, and best known for his somewhat romanticized accounts of pioneer life in California. He lived in Oakland from about 1854 to 1857 at the home of his stepfather, Colonel Andrew F. Williams, who was later Oakland’s fourth mayor.

The new school was the last to new school to be built out of the 1924 Bond issue. It was constructed at a cost of $120,000.

The building contained 22 classrooms and had 699 pupils enrolled on opening day in 1930. The school took graduates from Fruitvale, Allendale, Sequoia and Laurel Schools.

The school opened in 1930.

The school’s auditorium gymnasium building was constructed in 1950.

In 1957 the school district opened bids for a new building at Bret Harte.

The new building was built on the campus in 1959, another major expansion took place in 1979. 

The 1930 time capsule in a copper box found during the 1979 construction was never opened and was since lost.

The school is located at 3700 Coolidge Avenue Oakland, CA 94602

Bret Harte Middle SchoolToday

Google Maps
  • Bret Harte Middle School – website

More on the Fruitvale DIstrict Schools

The End

Posted in Allendale, Maxwell Park, Model/Display Homes, Oakland Tracts

Allendale Terrace

Allendale Terrace is group of twenty-seven homes built east of High Street on Allendale Avenue. They were built and sold by K.A. Johnson.

Fifteen homes were ready for inspection in 1930. The area is most likely is considered Maxwell Park.

Oakland Tribune May 11, 1930

Twenty -seven unusually beautiful English designed homes. Five, six and seven rooms, basements, furnaces, water heaters and laundry rooms. Close to new schools.

All basements are sufficiently large to provide space for a social hall. The five room homes can be converted to six room homes by completing another room upstairs, the stairways are already built.

Oakland Tribune May 1930
Oakland Tribune May 1930

The homes of Allendale Terrace

Oakland Tribune Jun 1930
4808 Allendale – Today
Oakland Tribune Jun 1930
4722 Allendale Ave Today – Google Maps
Oakland Tribune Feb 1930
Oakland Tribune Mar 1930
4507 Allendale Today – Google Maps
4501 Allendale Ave -today

The End