Posted in Architecture, Oakland Tracts

Cameron Built

Beautiful Homes in Oakland’s Warm Belt

Fifty “Cameron Built”  Modern Spanish Home in the Fruitvale  District. True Spanish Type Stucco. Priced at $5500 to $65.00. Built to CAMERON standards. (whatever that means). Each home contains five rooms and breakfast room, hardwood floors throughout, tile bath, tile sink , Hoyt water heater, fireplace for coal, wood or gas, latest style electric fixtures, base plugs in every room. Russwin solid brass hardware with glass knobs. All of large lots with fences, garage and cement walks.

The tract was designed by W. A. Doctor and built by H.C. Cameron with furnishings provided by Lachman Brothers.  Chas. A Neal was the exclusive agent for “Cameron Built Homes” on Maple and School Streets. The tract office was located at Pleitner and School streets

The 1st unit started in 1923 on Maple and School Streets.

The 2nd unit was started in 1925 at Texas and Pleitner Streets. 

Oakland Tribune Nov 25, 1923

The first ten homes were completed and ready in November 1923. 

By October 1924 twenty-two homes were complete

Oakland Tribune Nov 16, 1924
Oakland Tribune Nov 24, 1924
The corner of Texas Street and Curran Ave – Google Maps
Oakland Tribune Nov 24, 1924
3039 Texas Street – Present Day Google Maps
Present Day Maple Street
Posted in Model/Display Homes, Oakland Tracts, Tract or Subdivisions

Hawthorne House – Sheffield Village

Display Home – Sheffield Village Opens Mar 1941

Located at 168 Marlow Drive in Sheffield Village.  Completely furnished by  Jackson Furniture Company

E.B. Field Corporation, owners and builders of Sheffield Village.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Mar_30__1941_ (5)
Oakland Tribune March 30, 1941

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Mar_30__1941_
Oakland Tribune March 30, 1941

oakland_tribune_sun__mar_30__1941_-3.jpg

168 Marlow Ave
168 Marlow Drive Today google maps

Posted in Oakland Tracts, Tract or Subdivisions

Havenscourt

The_San_Francisco_Call_Sat__Nov_29__1913_
SF Call Nov 29, 1913

Wickman Havens Real Estate Company opened Havenscourt in 1912.   Within the 170 acres  Havenscourt there are 21 miles of streets and sidewalks.¹

Two Schools, 17 Acres Playground, a Civic Center and train station

The official entrance was at Havenscourt Blvd and East 14th Street where there was a a pergola and a gazebo. The Havenscourt station and business district was located  Havenscourt Blvd and Bancroft.²

The_San_Francisco_Call_Sat__Apr_13__1912_

ohrphoto.districts.040
Photo by Cheney Photo Advertising – Oakland History Room

 

1920Havenscourt Station East 14th St. & Havenscourt Blvd.
Havenscourt Blvd at Bancroft looking towards Frick School


Picture21
67th Avenue between Arthur St and Avenal Ave

Picture20
64th Avenue and Foothill Blvd

HAVENSCOURT-BUNGALOWS-66th-AVENUE-1912
Looking south on 66th Street from Arthur St

 

HAVENSCOURT-HOMES-65th-AVE-ARTHUR-ST-VIEW-OAKLAND-1914-
Looking south on 65th Ave from Arthur St

 

Picture13

All photos taken by Cheney Photo Advertising Company and are from Oakland History Room or OMCA.

Links:

  1. Story of Havenscourt – SF Call Nov 29, 1913
  2.  The Home Place Beautiful – Oakland Tribune Jun 1, 1912
  3.  Showing 6712 Flora St circa 1912-1916 OMCA – Havenscourt Tract Block 3
Posted in Oakland, Oakland Tracts, Tract or Subdivisions

Oakmore Highlands

OakmoreRollingHIlls
Rolling Hills of Oakmore circa 1920’s – Oakland History Room

Natural beauty abounds in the 150 acres of wooded, rolling hills that comprise the Oakmore District or Oakmore Highlands.  The Walter H. Leimert Company laid out the subdivision with wide paved streets and ample sidewalks.  See Oakmore Highland History

The Leimert Bridge was designed in 1926, by George A. Posey, to safely accommodate vehicle traffic, Park Boulevard Streetcars, and pedestrians.

The Leimert Bridge during construction and in 1926,  Photo by Cheney Photo Advertising

The original subdivision was bordered by Sausal Creek and Dimond Canyon.  During the initial sales period, good design was promoted through a model open house program called the ‘Oakmore Home Ideal’ where buyers could visit a custom home designed by local architects Miller & Warnecke.

Later, in 1934, The Leimert Company teamed with the Oakland Tribune and Breuner’s Furniture Company to furnish a demonstration model home that drew 8,000 visitors in a three week period.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jan_28__1934_
Oakland Tribune June 28, 1934

The following year another Breuner’s furnished house was nicknamed “Golden Windows” to highlight the expansive use of glass on the view side of the home and the commanding views from the subdivision.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Aug_4__1935_
Oakland Tribune August 1934

  • Real Estate Developer: Walter H. Leimert Company
  • Contractors: Park Boulevard Company
  • Property Managers: Mitchell & Austin
  • 150 Acres, 4 tracts 440 lots
  • Sales began October 1926

 

Photos

ohrphoto.districts.124
Aerial view of upper Dimond Canyon and surounding, still largely undeveloped, neighborhoods, Leimert Bridge visible in the foreground. – 1926-1936 Oakland History Room

ohrphoto.districts.125
Aerial view of Dimond Canyon – 1926-1936 – Oakland History Room

Various Articles

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_5__1927_ (6)
Oakland Tribune Jan 05, 1927

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__May_1__1927_ (5)

 

  • Oakmore Highlands Model Home
  • Oakmore Highlands Homes