Posted in Black History, History, People, Then and Now, West Oakland

Royal E. Towns – Engine Company No. 22

Royal Edward Towns (February 10, 1899–July 23, 1990) was one of the first African American firefighters in Oakland and was instrumental in helping desegregate the fire department.

Royal E Towns

Royal Towns joined the OFD in 1927 and was assigned to Engine Company No. 22, a segregated firehouse in West Oakland. The station was located at 3320 Magnolia Street.

Exterior of Oakland Fire Department Engine no. 22
3320 Magnolia Street

Three firefighters sitting in Oakland fire truck parked in driveway of fire Engine no. 22

Royal Towns was the 11th black Oakland fireman in 1927. The 12th wasn’t hired for another 15 years. In 1971 there were only 35 black firemen. Towns became the first to be promoted in the OFD. He became a chief’s operator in 1941 and retired as a lieutenant in 1962.

Royal E. Towns (center) and his colleagues with Engine Company No. 22
of the racially segregated Oakland Fire Department. (1943)

Towns was instrumental in helping desegregate the fire department. He helped train many other black applicants to pass the fire department test

Royal Towns on the left with Oakland firefighters standing in front of fire engine no. 22 – Circa 1943

Personal Life

Royal Towns was born in Oakland on February 10, 1899, to William Towns and Elizabeth Towns.

Towns married Lucille Dennis May 26, 1920. Together they had three children. The family lived in various locations within Oakland

Royal E. Towns died July 23, 1990 and is buried in Mountain View Cemetery

More Photos

The photos are courtesy of the Royal E. Towns papers, MS 26, African American Museum and Library at Oakland, Oakland Public Library. Oakland, California. Photos at Calisphere

3320 Magnolia Street Oakland – Then and Now
It is no longer a Fire Station
Rolling Hoses in front of Engine No 22
Two firemen attaching hoses to fire hydrant, firefighters practicing with fire hoses in park in the background – on Peralta Street
Peralta Street – Then and Now
Firemen holding fire hose in street next to
Gleason and Company building – Circa 1950s
at the corner of Magnolia and 34th Street

34th and Magnolia – Then and Now
Firemen holding fire hose in street next to Gleason and Company building
Circa 1950s – 34th and Magnolia
Across from the Gleason Company today
Firemen holding fire hose in street next to Gleason and Company building
Circa 1950s – 34th and Magnolia
Looking down Magnolia towards 34th St.
Circa 1950s
Looking down Magnolia towards 34th St.
Then and Now
Dog climbing ladder to get apple in front of Oakland Fire Department Fire Engine No. 22 – circa 1950s
Fireman jumping off ladder in front of Oakland Fire Department fire Engine no. 22

More on Royal E. Towns

Posted in Buildings, History, Oakland, Then and Now

Oakland and Surroundings – Then and Now

A few of the illustrations from the 1885 Oakland and Surrounding compared to modern day or an earlier date.

Nichol Block

The Nichol Block was built in 1878 and is now a part of “Old Oakland”. Is located at the northeast corner of 9th Street and Washington.

Northeast corner of 9th and Washington Streets. Arlington Hotel in circa 1937
Downtown Property Owner’s Association.
Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room.

Galindo Hotel

  • Built 1877
  • 8th and Franklin
  • B. Wright Proprietor
  • J.C. Matthews & Sons Architects
  • 1972 Destroyed by fire
Galindo Hotel
Date after 1933
Historic American Building Survey
Survey No
HABS CA-1898

Cole School

  • Built circa 1885 to circa 1923
  • 10th Street between Union and Poplar
  • Named for Rector E. Cole
  • Jack London attended the school
Circa 1885
Front doors of the Cole School building
with several children standing on sidewalk.
Date 1908
Huntington Library Jack London Collection

Pacific Press Publishing House

Under the direction of James White, the leader of the Seventh Day Adventists, the Pacific Press building was erected in 1875 as a publishing and printing firm. It was destroyed by fire in 1977, arson was suspected. The building was in the way the of of the Grove -Shafter Freeway (980). 

Circa 1885
Pacific Press Building
Circa 1975
Images from the Ellen G. White estate http://ellenwhite.org/
Pacific Press Building
Circa 1977
Images from the Ellen G. White estate http://ellenwhite.org/

More Info: