The Toler Heights subdivision changed hands so many times before the 1930, it seems they never really got around to selling the area with photos of new homes being built. The following is all I could find.
“The Pines “ was the beautiful home and the surrounding gardens of Mr. & Mrs. Philip E. Bowles. The home was built in 1910 and it stood at what is now No. 2 Bowling Drive.
Mr. and Mrs P.E. Bowles on a garden path at The Pines
In 1909, Philip E. Bowlespurchased 51 (58 acres in some publications) acres of land in “Claremont hills” adjoining the Horatio P Livermore Homestead. Bowles was the president of the First National Bank of Oakland and a Regent of the University of California from 1911-22.
The house and grounds had an entrancing view of the bay and all of the surrounding country.
The view from “The Pines”
The Bowles Home
He signed a contract for the erection of a residence to cost $31,000. The Architect was L.B. Dutton. He engaged an expert landscaper. who designed the grounds of the estate in accordance with Bowles own plans.
The home was built in the Italian Villa style with twenty-two rooms and a full basement. It had six master bedrooms, dressing rooms, five bathrooms, three sleeping porches, a library, a drawing room and a conservatory .
Inside the home
The home was surrounded a veritable forest filed with quail and dotted with miniature lakes stocked with large rainbow trout and a well stocked bass pond. There was a Japanese Tea garden, with pools containing rare goldfish, golden carp and unusual aquatic plants. There was also a tennis court, a swimming pool, large garage, and a horse stable with a trotting park.
Mr. Bowles purchased from all of the world, he bought the best. The Rhododendrons were especially lovely.
The swimming pool and bathhouse.
A garden path
Architecture & Engineer
In 1911 the home was featured in January issue of Architecture & Engineer of California Magazine. It states the architect was L.B. Dutton. Architecture & Engineer of California Jan 1911 pg. 204 –
High Society at The Pines
Many dances and social events were held at The Pines.
In 1912 the Bowles daughter Amy married Hiram Johnson Jr. the son of Governor Hiram W. Johnson. The wedding was held at The Pines
The extension grounds surrounding the Bowles mansion were transformed into a fairyland
On January 20,1926 Philip Bowles died at the age of 67.
The city of Oakland Park board was urged by Mayor Davie to purchase land and home for $700,000, for a public playground or park. That fell through.
In May of 1927, a year after Philip Bowles died, Mrs. Bowles sold the entire estate to a group of men from southern California and they hired the York Company, Inc. of Oakland to handle to development and the sales.
The York company subdivided the land and called it Claremont Pines. The name Claremont Pines came from the nearby district called Claremont and the name of the Bowles Estate .
Claremont Pines Placed on the Market
In about 1927 or 1928 Andrew Williams of the Andrew Williams Store, local grocery chain purchase the home which was located at No. 2 Bowling Drive.
After spending two years remodeling and adding new furniture including expensive Persian rugs, Williams put the home up for sale in 1932
Bowles Hall – UC Berkeley
In 1928 in memory of her husband Mrs Bowles donated $250,000 to the University of California to be used to build a dormitory for men, appropriately and completely furnished, on or near the University campus, in Berkeley. The dormitory is known as Bowles Hall.
In 1938 the main house was destroyed by the wrecking and sold off piece by piece. A sad ending to a home that was just 28 years old.
The was a caretaker house located at front gates of estate. It stood at the portal through the high metal-spiked fence around the estate. The five room bungalow which formally served as the guardian of the estate was used as the tract office from 1928- 1948.
It was at this little cottage where the street car once stopped.
In 1948 the cottage was sold to Charles Ray Jr. of 1028 85th Avenue and he will be placing it on lot next to his.
It is located where Foothill Blvd meets Trask Street and 55th Avenue. 55th Avenue was formally called Central Avenue and Foothill Blvd was often referred to the Scenic Boulevard. Central Terrace also includes Ruth Avenue, Laverne Avenue, El Camille Avenue and Kingsland Avenue. The area now is considered to be an extension of Maxwell Park or the Fairfax District, depending on who you talk to.
Brochure for Central Terrace
The Mutual Realty Company put the Central Terrace Subdivision on sale in April of 1912. The agent was Fred T. Wood, who later took over the project. Later they added the Central Terrace Extension and Scenic Park Knoll
“Central Terrace is surrounded by modern schools and educational institutions of the very highest standard, the John C. Fremont high erected at the cost of $140,000, the Melrose School, the W.P. Frick School and the Lockwood Grammar School and the famous Mills Seminary for young ladies, all are within short walking distance from any part of Central Terrace”
The “Highlands of Oakland” went on sale in November of 1925. It is located area of of Tunnel Road and behind what is now the Parkwoods Condominiums. The area was burned during the 1991 Oakland Firestorm and I assume there are no original homes left.
The “Highlands of Oakland” includes the following streets Bristol Drive, Buckingham Blvd, Charing Cross Road, Devin Way Marlborough Terrace, Norfolk Road, , Sherwick Drive and Westmoreland Drive. The area is right on the border of Berkeley. The area is now called the Claremont Hills.
The Highlands of Oakland faces on Tunnel Road and is 20 minutes from the business district of Oakland. It consisted of 300 large parcels for a low price of $225.
Fred T. Wood Co. developed this beautiful scenic tract high in the hills of Oakland.
In the months prior to the opening of the “Highlands of Oakland” a large force of men had been actively building streets. The winding roads cover some of the finest scenic property in the San Francisco Bay –
More pictures of the Highlands of Oakland can be seen here – OMCA
“The Oakland Hills have been compared to the Seven Hills of Rome“.
Oakland Tribune Nov 29, 1925
“Miss Australia” Beryl Mills visits the “Highlands of Oakland” after touring UC Berkeley.
On the Beautiful Scenic Foothill Blvd. of Oakland Ca
Brochure from the OMCA – c:1916 Gift of Fred E. Reed H4599.44
Panorama from Beverly Terrace
Beverly Terrace went on sale in 1916. Located at Foothill Blvd and 99th on the border of the Dunsmuir House and Gardens.M.T Minney Company was the exclusive agents and developers. Later C.W. Boden Company handled sales.