Posted in Homes, Model/Display Homes, Tract or Subdivisions

Oakmore Highlands Homes

The first home, according to the above article, was constructed for Erwin Howell. The two-story colonial was erected at 4065 Oakmore Road.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_5__1927_ (1)
Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_5__1927_
Oakland Tribune Jun 1927
4065 Oakmore Road
4065 Oakmore Road – Google Maps

1924 Hoover Avenue

oakland_tribune_sun__sep_25__1927_.jpg
Oakland Tribune Sep 1927
1924 Hoover St
1924 Hoover Street
  • Spanish Style
  •  Grace Clifford
  • Frederick H Reimers Architect
  • Irwin Reimers Builder
  • 1927
  • Google Maps

1941 Hoover Avenue

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Nov_27__1927_
Oakland Tribune Nov 1927
Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Nov_27__1927_ (2)
Oakland Tribune Nov 1927
1941 Hoover Ave
1941 Hoover Avenue – Google Maps

4420 Bridgeview Drive

Oakland Tribune 1928

Bestor robinson
The Bestor Robinson Home – 4420 Bridgeview Drive

3932 Oakmore Road

Oakland Tribune Feb 1928

  • English Cottage
  • R L Caps Owner
  • L. Rosecrans Architect
  • 1927
  • Zillow

3992 Oakmore Road

Oakland Tribune May 1927

3992 Oakmore
3992 Oakmore Road
  • English Cottage
  • Marie Wheeler – owner
  • Florence Wheeler – owner
  • 1927
  • Google Map

4125 Oakmore Road

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_5__1927_ (1)
Oakland Tribune Jun 1927
Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_5__1927_ (2)
Oakland Tribune June 1927
4125 Oakmore road
4125 Oakmore Road  – Bing Maps
  • Italian Design
  • John G. Evans Owner
  • 1927
  •  Bing Maps

3921 Oakmore Road

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Mar_20__1927_
Oakland Tribune  Mar 1927
3921 Oakmore Rd
3921 Oakmore Road – Google Maps

4350 Bridge View Drive

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_23__1929_
Oakland Tribune June 1929
4350 Brideview
4350 Bridge View Drive – from Google Maps

4266 Edge Street

4266 Edge St Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Dec_4__1927_
Oakland Tribune 1927
Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_5__1927_ (1)
Oakland Tribune 1927
4266 Edge
4266 Edge Street – Google Maps
  • Spanish Style
  • Lewis W. Jefferson Owner
  • Carl Jefferson Owner
  • Dec 1927
  • Google Maps

3956 Oakmore Road

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Apr_8__1928_
Oakland Tribune 1928
3956 Oaklmore troad
3956 Oakmore Road

1921 Rosecrest Drive

1921 Rosecrest Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_2__1935_
Oakland Tribune 1935
1921 Rosecresr
1921 Rosecrest Drive
  • Monterey Colonial
  • Chester H. Treichel Architect
  • 1935
  • Realtor.Com

The End

Posted in History, Model/Display Homes, Oakland, Tract or Subdivisions

Oakmore Highland Model Homes

Breuner-Tribune Home June 1934

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jan_21__1934_
Oakland Tribune Jun 1934
1774 Liedmet
1774 Leimert Blvd –  Google maps

Display Homes of 1934

New homes at 1746 Leimert, 1808 Leimert and 1816 Leimert – Sept 1934

1746 Leimert-COLLAGE

1746 Leimert, 1808 Leimert and 1816 Leimert

Just a few of the homes in the Oakmore Highlands Neighborhood.

The End

Posted in Oakland Tracts, Tract or Subdivisions

Havenscourt

The_San_Francisco_Call_Sat__Nov_29__1913_
SF Call Nov 29, 1913

Wickman Havens Real Estate Company opened Havenscourt in 1912.   Within the 170 acres  Havenscourt there are 21 miles of streets and sidewalks.¹

The_San_Francisco_Call_Sat__Apr_13__1912_

The official entrance was at Havenscourt Blvd and East 14th Street, where there was a pergola and a gazebo. The Havenscourt station and business district was located  Havenscourt Blvd and Bancroft.²

ohrphoto.districts.040
Photo by Cheney Photo Advertising – Oakland History Room
The entrance to Havenscourt
1920Havenscourt Station East 14th St. & Havenscourt Blvd.
Havenscourt Blvd at Bancroft looking towards Frick School

Two Schools, 17 Acres Playground, a Civic Center and train station

Picture21
67th Avenue between Arthur St and Avenal Ave
Picture20
64th Avenue and Foothill Blvd
HAVENSCOURT-BUNGALOWS-66th-AVENUE-1912
Looking south on 66th Street from Arthur St

Then and Now – Above and Below

66th Avenue Today – Google Maps
HAVENSCOURT-HOMES-65th-AVE-ARTHUR-ST-VIEW-OAKLAND-1914-
Looking south on 65th Ave from Arthur St
2546 65th Ave – Today
Picture13

All photos were taken by Cheney Photo Advertising Company and are from Oakland History Room or OMCA.

Links:

  1. Story of Havenscourt – SF Call Nov 29, 1913
  2.  The Home Place Beautiful – Oakland Tribune Jun 1, 1912
  3.  Showing 6712 Flora St circa 1912-1916 OMCA – Havenscourt Tract Block 3

The End

Updated Dec 16, 2019

Posted in Oakland, Oakland Tracts, Tract or Subdivisions

Oakmore Highlands

OakmoreRollingHIlls
Rolling Hills of Oakmore circa 1920’s – Oakland History Room

Natural beauty abounds in the 150 acres of wooded, rolling hills that comprise the Oakmore District or Oakmore Highlands.  The Walter H. Leimert Company laid out the subdivision with wide streets and ample sidewalks.  See Oakmore Highland History

The Leimert Bridge was designed in 1926, by George A. Posey, to safely accommodate vehicle traffic, Park Boulevard Streetcars, and pedestrians.

The Leimert Bridge during construction and in 1926,  Photo by Cheney Photo Advertising

The original subdivision was bordered by Sausal Creek and Dimond Canyon.  During the initial sales period, sound design was promoted through a model open house program called the ‘Oakmore Home Ideal’ where buyers could visit a custom home designed by local architects Miller & Warnecke.

Later, in 1934, The Leimert Company teamed with the Oakland Tribune and Breuner’s Furniture Company to furnish a demonstration model home that drew 8,000 visitors in three weeks.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jan_28__1934_
Oakland Tribune June 28, 1934

The following year another Breuner’s furnished house was nicknamed “Golden Windows” to highlight the extensive use of glass on the view side of the home and the commanding views from the subdivision.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Aug_4__1935_
Oakland Tribune August 1934
  • Real Estate Developer: Walter H. Leimert Company
  • Contractors: Park Boulevard Company
  • Property Managers: Mitchell & Austin
  • 150 Acres, 4 tracts 440 lots
  • Sales began in October 1926

Photos

ohrphoto.districts.124
Aerial view of upper Dimond Canyon and surrounding, still mostly undeveloped, neighborhoods, Leimert Bridge visible in the foreground. – 1926-1936 Oakland History Room
ohrphoto.districts.125
Aerial view of Dimond Canyon – 1926-1936 – Oakland History Room

Various Articles

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_5__1927_ (6)
Oakland Tribune Jan 05, 1927

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__May_1__1927_ (5)

Posted in Oakland, Tract or Subdivisions

College Pines

ohrphoto.districts.109
Broadway Terrace @ Ostrander St. (see below)  Photo from Oakland History Room.

College Pines is located at the corner of  Broadway Terrace and Harbord Drive location(formally Edith), just past the Claremont Country Club.  The name of College Pines was chosen because of the close proximity to the College of the Sisters of Holy Names, new High School.  The sales office was located at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Ostrander Road, as seen above.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_19__1932_

Oakland Tribune 1932

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jun_12__1932_
Oakland Tribune June 12, 1932

Below are pictures of  Broadway Terrace and Chetwoood and Broadway Terrace and Harbord Drive.   They were taken in 1933 and are from the Oakland Public Library History Room.

ohrphoto.districts.111
Harbord Drive and Broadway Terrace in 1933 –  Oakland History Room Photo

ohrphoto.districts.110
Broadway Terrace and Clarewood Drive in 1933 – Oakland History Room photo

The homesites front on along Harbord Drive for about a half-mile or more.  The lots were priced at $27.00 per foot.  A forty-foot lot would cost $1075.00, with a low down payment and easy terms.  Sold by the Claremont Pines Corporation and later Michell & Austin.

Oakland Tribune June 1932

Holy Names Centra High School was built on Harbord Drive and opened in 1934.

Display Homes

In December of 1933, the first display home opened at 4339 Harbord Drive. The house had eight rooms with two baths and a 14 x 32-foot rumpus room and “pleasing features galore.”  The house was priced at $6850 and was recently sold in 2016 for $1,360,000.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Dec_31__1933_ (2)
Oakland Tribune Dec 1933

In September of 1934, another display home was opened at 4347 Harbord Drive.  The green and white wood and brick cottage and two bedrooms and a den or nursery and a large playroom. The house was priced at $6500, with just $75 down payment and $75 a month.  The home recently sold for $825,000 in 2012.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Sep_30__1934_ (1)
Oakland Tribune Sept 1934

Misc. ads for homes

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Feb_18__1940_

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Apr_28__1940_Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Mar_10__1940_

Update:

The stone pillar is still there at the corner of Broadway Terrace and Ostrander Street

broadway terr
Broadway Terrace and Ostrander St 2018 – Photo from Google Maps

Posted in Montclair Tracts, Tract or Subdivisions

Casa Altadena

In Smith Reserve

Atop one of the knolls, commanding full advantage of the ever-changing vistas, is Casa Altadena, the distinctive exhibition home of Realty Syndicate. Company”

SF Examiner February 11, 1928

Casa Altadena is of Spanish architecture. Occupying a knoll overlooking the panorama of the bay on one side and beautiful wooded vistas and canyons on the other side.

Casa AltaDena – flickr

Opening Day

Over 500 people attended the opening on January 29, 1929.

Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Feb_5__1928_
Oakland Tribune Feb 05, 1928
Oakland Tribune January 1928

Casa Altadena carries out the discerning taste of its decorators, who sought to weave into them, the romance of the Peraltas.

Sf Examiner February 11, 1928

Details include its tiled roof, arched doorways, decorative tiles, wood trims, antique wall sconces and decorative wrought-iron work.

SF Examiner February 11, 1928
For Sale in 1931Oakland Tribune

Casa Altadena Today

Casa Altadena 6401 Chelton
Casa Altadena today 6401 Chelton Drive Oakland CA
  • Casa Altadena
  • Smith Reserve (Piedmont Pines)
  • Open Jan 29, 1928
  • Spanish design
  • Realty Syndicate
  • Still there
  • 6401 Chelton Drive

Location on Google maps

More Info:

Updated July 17, 2020

The End

Posted in Model/Display Homes, Montclair, Tract or Subdivisions

Spanish Home for Smith Reserve

Casa maria luisa Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Dec_15__1929_(1)

A Spanish Type Home for Smith Reserve” (now the Piedmont Pines section of Montclair in Oakland)  –

Oakland Tribune December 15, 1929.

“The Casa Maria Luisa,”  the first of the “Daughter of Peralta” homes will be open an exhibition residence with imported furnishings in Smith Reserve shortly after Jan 1, 1930.  Fully decorated by H.C. Capwell company and sold by the Realty Syndicate.

Casa Maria Luisa, when completely furnished, will represent an investment of $50,000.

“Master craftsmen have been employed in building and furnishing this usual home”

Oakland Tribune January 19, 1930

The beams and ceilings were stenciled by one of the noted Cathedral Artists, lighting fixtures from rare old-world patterns, overhanging balconies reminiscent of early Spanish-California with heavy doors.  Oriental rugs of Spanish design made to order.  The house had numerous 1930’s state of the art features, including a Walker Electric Sink and a two-ventilator in the kitchen.

Casa Maria Luisa occupies three wooded lots with a panoramic view. Surrounding the home with rare shrubs, plants, and Monterey and Cypress Trees.

casa maria luisa Oakland_Tribune_Sun__Jan_12__1930_(1)
Casa Maria Luisa opens – Jan 12, 1930

Casa Maria Luisa opened to rave reviews claiming to be “the most beautiful and popular home ever shown in Oakland.”  In 1931, The Oakland Tribune Yearbook named it one of the most beautiful homes of that year.

In 1987 the home was bought by a couple from the original owner Cordelia Wanderforde, who had lived there some 50 years.  They put a lot of money into repairing and updating the house.

  • 6514 Ascott Drive
  • Built 1929-30
  • Smith Reserve (Piedmont Pines
  • Realty Syndicate
  • Hamilton Murdock – Architect
  • Opened 1930 for a $18,500
  • Last sold 1997 for $698,000
6514 Ascot Drive Casa Maria Luisa
Casa Maria Luisa Today – from Google maps
6514 Ascot Drive – Google Maps

The End

Updated Dec 16, 2019