Posted in Buildings, East Oakland, Homes, Tract or Subdivisions, Uncategorized

Mills Gardens

Mills Gardens is bounded by 55th and Seminary Avenues, Mills College, and the Nelson Estate.

Mills Gardens, the centrally-located subdivision, was placed on sale on May 03, 1924. The Fred T. Wood Co. were the owners and developers.

The land that Mills Gardens was once a part of Mills College and was known as the “old meadow.”

Oakland Tribune Feb 03, 1924

“Fine Home Tract Adjoins Mills College Campus; Many Improvements”

Oakland Tribune May 11, 1924
Oakland Tribune May 04, 1924

“In Mills Gardens, we have the finest home subdivision in East Oakland.”  

Fred T. Wood – May 11, 1924

 

A Big Demand for Mills Gardens Lots

The opening sales in Mills Gardens established a record for 1924, with transactions totaling $139,500. 

Sf Examiner 1924

“Beautiful Level Lots that are 40 feet and 120 feet deep for $900 to $1250 each.”  

“The lowest prices ever asked for high-class, fully-improved homesites.”

New Homes in Mills Gardens

5624 Morse Ave – Google Maps

Brann Avenue

5859 Brann Ave –

55tth Avenue

Oakland Tribune Oct 24, 1924
2886 55th Avenue
2938 55th Ave – today google maps

Roberts Avenue

Oakland Tribune
5801 Roberts – today google maps
Oakland Tribune
5615 Roberts today google maps

More Info:

Mills Gardens

The End

Posted in Oakland Tracts, Tract or Subdivisions

Highlands of Oakland

The “Highlands of Oakland” went on sale in November of 1925. It is located area of Tunnel Road and behind what is now the Parkwoods Condominiums. This area was burned during the 1991 Oakland Firestorm, and I assume there are no original homes left.

The “Highlands of Oakland” includes the following streets Bristol Drive, Buckingham Blvd, Charing Cross Road, Devin Way Marlborough Terrace, Norfolk Road,, Sherwick Drive and Westmoreland Drive. The area is right on the border of Berkeley. That area is now called the Claremont Hills.

Cheney Photo Advertising c 1925
Showing the “Highlands of Oakland” of in the distance

The Highlands of Oakland faces on Tunnel Road and is 20 minutes from the business district of Oakland. It consisted of 300 large parcels for a low price of $225.

Fred T. Wood Co. developed this beautiful scenic tract high in the hills of Oakland.

Oakland Tribune November 29, 1925

 “Highlands of Oakland Entrance to our tract from Tunnel Road. A weekday average of over 6000 automobiles passes this point.”
Cheney Photo Advertising
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Howard-Gibbon
OMCA H89.64.15

In the months before the opening of the “Highlands of Oakland” force of men had been actively building streets.  The winding roads cover some of the most beautiful scenic property in the San Francisco Bay –

Highlands of Oakland
The steam shovel, an unfailing sign of progress.
Cheney Photo Advertising
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Howard-Gibbon
OMCA H89.64.15

More pictures of the Highlands of Oakland can be seen here – OMCA

Oakland Tribune Oct 1926

The Oakland Hills has been compared to the Seven Hills of Rome.”

Oakland Tribune November 29, 1925

 

Oakland Tribune May 1926
Oakland Tribune June 1926
Oakland Tribune May 1926
Oakland Tribune April 11, 1926

“Miss Australia” Beryl Mills visits the “Highlands of Oakland” after touring UC Berkeley.

Oakland Tribune August 22, 1926

The End