Posted in Oakland Tracts

Cameron Built

Beautiful Homes in Oakland’s Warm Belt

Fifty “Cameron Built”  Modern Spanish Home in the Fruitvale  District. True Spanish Type Stucco. Priced at $5500 to $65.00. Built to CAMERON standards. (whatever that means). Each home contains five rooms and breakfast room, hardwood floors throughout, tile bath, tile sink , Hoyt water heater, fireplace for coal, wood or gas, latest style electric fixtures, base plugs in every room. Russwin solid brass hardware with glass knobs. All of large lots with fences, garage and cement walks.

The tract was designed by W. A. Doctor and built by H.C. Cameron with furnishings provided by Lachman Brothers.  Chas. A Neal was the exclusive agent for “Cameron Built Homes” on Maple and School Streets. The tract office was located at Pleitner and School streets

The 1st unit started in 1923 on Maple and School Streets.

The 2nd unit was started in 1925 at Texas and Pleitner Streets. 

Oakland Tribune Nov 25, 1923

The first ten homes were completed and ready in November 1923. 

By October 1924 twenty-two homes were complete

Oakland Tribune Nov 16, 1924
Oakland Tribune Nov 24, 1924
The corner of Texas Street and Curran Ave – Google Maps
Oakland Tribune Nov 24, 1924
3039 Texas Street – Present Day Google Maps
Present Day Maple Street