Hays School District

In March of 1886, the Board of Supervisors created a new school district. That took from portions of the Piedmont, Peralta, and Fruitvale districts and representing about 44 children.

A Hermit’s Companion

Because of his friendship with an old hermit, George W. Brusseau, who was the only close companion of Charles Kruse for more than a decade, Kruse gave Brusseau his property worth more than $50,000.

Montclair Realty – Pioneers of the Hills

In 1924 brothers Paul and Herman Pause formed Montclair Realty Co. Before that, Paul worked for the Realty Syndicate. Paul and Herman Pause The business district of Montclair looked like this when Montclair Realty was formed. Cos. Williams, a builder, was the only other business at that time. Sales offices of real estate broker and... Continue Reading →

More Early Photos of Montclair

Moraga Avenue and La Salle c 1940 Photo from A C Transit The above is the corner of Moraga and LaSalle circa 1940 . Showing Montclair Pharmacy. L60-95-Public Works Photos, Oakland Cultural Heritage Survey, Oakland City Planning Department c 1954 Above is Moraga and La Salle- showing  the Siena Deli, Montclair Donuts, Simons Cleaning Center... Continue Reading →

On Moraga Avenue

An Enterprising Family and Their New Home in the Montclair District. - Oakland Tribune Mr. and Mrs. John W Martinsen's like many others in the area took on the task of building their own home. Mrs. Martinsen would serve a hot lunch for them from a cabin they had built in the back of the... Continue Reading →

Website Powered by WordPress.com.

Up ↑