Posted in Early Montclair, History, Uncategorized

Hays School in Montclair

ohrphoto.districts.034
Students and teachers at Hays School pose in front of the school in 1886.  Oakland History Room

In March of 1886, the Board of Supervisors created a new school district.  That took from portions of the Piedmont, Peralta, and Fruitvale districts and representing about 44 children. The new district was called the Hays district, in honor of the late Colonel John Coffee Hays.  The superintendent appointed the following residents of the area as trustees:

  • W.H. Mead
  • J H Medau
  • Susan Hays (widow of Colonel Hays)
Oakland_Tribune_Tue__Mar_16__1886_
Oakland Tribune Mar 1886

The land for the school was given to the district from Hetty S. Henshaw.   The Montclair Firehouse was built in the spot in 1927, using the front part of the lot.  T

Oakland_Tribune_Fri__Jul_16__1886_
Oakland Tribune Jul 1886

Requests for bids to build the school were made in July of 1886.

Oakland_Tribune_Wed__May_19__1886_

The completed school was small at only 32×36 feet,  with just one classroom.  It was Gothic in design with a graceful looking bell tower.  It had two entrances, one for the boys and the other for the girls each entrance having a 6×6 vestibule.  The sash bars of the windows are all horizontal, after the style of the school buildings in Europe.  The building cost about $2,500 and took about two months to build.

Oakland_Tribune_Wed__Jul_7__1886_
Oakland Tribune Jul 1886

The dedication of the school was held in October 1886.  It was attended most of the families that lived in the area.  Opening remarks were made by Judge EM Gibson and WH Mead.  Some of the families in attendance:

  • The  S Andrews Family
  • The  E.M. Gibson Family
  • The  J. Hampel  Family
  • The W.H. Mead Family
  • The JH Meadu Family
  • The S.F. Morrell Family

Entertainment provided by the students from the school under the direction of their teacher Miss Lucy Law.  The following students performed:

  • Clara Gibson
  • Gussie Gibson
  • Carrie Mead
  • Daisy Mead
  • Susie Mead
  • Mattie Mead
  • Edith Medau
  • Louise Medau
Oakland_Tribune_Sat__Oct_16__1886_
Oakland Tribune October 1886

The school was closed in around 1913 and the building was demolished.  It was probably due to building the Oakland, Antioch and Eastern Railway later known as the Sacramento Northern.   For more on the Sacramento Northern please go here. The East Bay Hills Project

Graduation 1901

Oakland Tribune June 1901

Misc Articles

The_San_Francisco_Call_Sat__Sep_12__1891_
Oakland Tribune 1891
Oakland_Tribune_Wed__Nov_20__1889_
Oakland Tribune Nov 1889

A little controversy. From 1891 and 1895